“Conducting strategic planning in the middle of a global pandemic, economic uncertainty, and an election year was challenging. We needed a fresh approach to determine how the Association could evolve into a valuable strategic resource in new areas affecting the business of frozen food in addition to our core strengths of advocacy and food safety. Dan Varroney and his Team at Potomac Core – Association Consulting did an impressive job implementing a thorough, iterative, and data driven planning process. Their energetic, collaborative, and results driven approach was highly effective, and it energized our Board and staff. Our new strategic plan reflects Industry challenges and outcomes, and now AFFI is even better positioned to deliver long term strategic solutions for our members.”
Case Study – AFFI
The American Frozen Food Institute is the Industry organization that represents America’s frozen food and beverage makers. The membership includes fruit and vegetable growers and processors, makers of prepared meals, suppliers, and distributors.
Through membership and participation in AFFI’s programs and events, companies access the ROI through its focus on three key areas:
- Advancing Food Safety – Conducting research to understand and mitigate food safety risks; providing opportunities for collaboration to raise the bar on food safety across the Industry.
- Advocating for Frozen – Sharing members’ stories in the media, to regulators, and on Capitol Hill to drive policies that enhance the business of frozen foods
- Boosting Category Performance – Recognize insights on consumer trends at retail and food service operations to identify opportunities to grow the category; Through collaboration with supply-chain partners, the organization also provides opportunities for business-to-business meetings and professional networking.
The Board of Directors and key staff utilized intensive research to brainstorm strategic solutions to address “awake at night” Frozen Food Industry challenges. Convening in monthly meetings, Board Members and AFFI staff worked together to devise and develop a robust and Frozen Food Industry Strategic Plan.
The new plan incorporates a north star, a Strategic Industry Objective that demonstrates the overarching role that AFFI will play on behalf of Members and the Industry:
- “Frozen Foods are Essential in a Dynamic Marketplace”
The Industry Objective is supported by building blocks that will help make Frozen Foods essential in a changing marketplace:
- Strategic Initiative: Grounded in Science Mitigate Risks to the Frozen Food Business.
- Strategic Initiative: Elevate Frozen’s Voice & Build Champions To Promote the Benefits of Frozen Foods.
- Strategic Initiative: Drive Solutions for Innovative Category Performance.
In January 2021, the Board approved AFFI’s new Strategic Plan.